That being said, I'm not saying National Service is a bad thing or unnecessary and there are definitely a lot of things you can learn from doing it (as those who survived will gladly tell you) Some males do Singapore very proud by serving but perhaps this is one case where he would do us proud by doing otherwise. Besides the normal arguments like potentially hurting hands in the army, skills wasting away after 2 years, the school not being willing to take him after that for age issues and most importantly, its an issue of Deferment. He's not running away, he's just opting for a route that 50 odd (or more) PSC scholars have taken in the past. He eventually will claim his responsibility, and the ironic part is, as a Raffles boy, if he had applied for a PSC, with his achievements, he would probably have gotten it. There is a sickening inconsistency there in our institutions' evaluation of worth. What can I say? Everyone knows you deserve it, so even though I don't know you personally, here's wishing you all the luck in the world.
Men are not equal. (Why do you think I work so hard?) Equal treatment is an attractive concept (not really actually) but will probably never result. Meritocracy is already a form of discrimination and my job is just to maintain a favourable position on the spectrum of capabilities. Not according people the opportunities proportionate to their talent (which arguably must be an incredible amount) only speaks of incredible rigidity and myopia, especially since I see the benefits running both ways. If there are 3 things I hate, they are rigidity, myopia and bad arguments. I cannot stand bad arguments; everytime I hear one I verge on popping a vein. Being a debater has effectively reduced my lifespan by a good ten years.
There will always be an exception to the rule and there will always be people more deserving than others.
But at the same time, remember that To whom much is given, much will be required.
A sobering thought for those of us leaping up and down, on the right side of the spectrum.
belle epoque at 11:20 PM